Understanding Peer Support
One of the most valuable components of a recovery lifestyle is ongoing, regular peer support. Peer support groups are comprised of individuals who draw from their own diverse experiences and backgrounds to build meaningful relationships with enthusiasm, understanding, and without pressure or judgment. We offer this one-day training course to anyone interested in supporting the recovery process as part of our volunteer team.
Who is in your peer Group?
Participants will be able to define and understand what constitutes a peer group through small group discovery exercises.
- Power imbalances
- How peer groups can be valuable
- Debrief with questions
Qualities of Peer Support
Participants will be able to identify and understand the impact of power imbalances, learn how to minimize them, and learn how to recognize a healthy peer support relationship:
- What power imbalances look like
- The negative impacts of power imbalances
- What similarities are useful within a peer group
- “Power under” people
- Identity vs. relationship
Peer Support History
Participants will learn about the rich history of peer support and how roles have evolved and changed over time:
- Formal peer support role history
- Peer respite
- Early activist work vs. what exists now
- Important points and people in peer support history
- Trainer story
Participants will be able to identify and understand the 9 myths about peer support:
- Mini Clinicians
- Your Own Rehab
- Anyone Should Be Good at It
- Digging for Info
- No Limits
- Special Policies Needed
- It Should Be Easy
- Small Groups
What does peer support look like?
Participants will be able to identify and discuss examples of peer support:
- Active vs. passive support
- “Hows” and “Whys”
- “What does peer support look like?” exercise
- “Peer Support Integrity” game
- Being a good ally
- Being a change agent
- Work groups
All fees are non-refundable unless otherwise stated here.
Application Processing Fee (due upon acceptance): $40
Understanding Peer Support Course Registration Fee: $400
NOTE: Only make a payment once you have submitted an application and have been accepted.
Please designate your payment as “Understanding Peer Support Registration.” Thank you!
Please make sure you understand each item on the list. Only complete applications will be considered.
- Please complete the entire application prior to submitting it to New Life II.
- New Life II will not accept payment prior to your acceptance into the training program.
- New Life II will only accept applications that are complete with full names (not nicknames or initials) and that are signed as required.